Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

VaASL 2012 Conference

I just got home from the VaASL conference in Hampton, VA.  What a great, inspiring conference.  I left convinced that I must make time for professional activities like blogging for my library.  On the ride home I decided to change the focus of this blog.  I am going to borrow Christi the Teen Librarian's idea of super short reviews to post information about books I read and enjoy, and I will also use this forum to post what is happening in the LBHS library.

A few items on my "things to do" list from the conference:

1. Revamp library orientation using QR codes.
2. Check out Edmodo as a possible source for summer reading and/or the book club
3. Spend more time on library advocacy-- create and share a monthly newsletter (through this blog I think) with administration, staff, parents, kids, anyone I can get to look at it!
4. Read up on the Teacher Eval standards-- great suggestions from Audrey Church
5. Learn how to make screen casts and create some
6. Work on my Destiny account-- get the MARC records for all my e content into the catalog for one stop searching for my students.
7. and much more....

This list was from the top of my head-- I really need to look back at all the notes I took at the conference to make sure I don't forget anything.

So, thanks for reading and I will be around more and in a different way.

Currently reading...

Insignia- awesome so far!

Book I am most looking forward to reading next-- Book 4 in the Beautiful Creatures series.  I saw it at Target the other night and can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Author I recently met- Gordon Korman!  While he is not an author with a huge presence in a high school library he has a few great YA books.  (Pop for one)  My own kids really like this author and I am excited to have some signed books to give them.  Gordon Korman gave a great speech at the VaASL Author Banquet- I really enjoyed it



No comments:

Post a Comment